On-Demand ACS Reviewer Lab
ACS Reviewer Lab provides peer review training for scientific researchers.
About the Course
ACS Reviewer Lab is a free, on-demand peer review training course, now available through the ACS Institute. Designed by ACS Editors, leading scientific researchers, and ACS Publications staff, this course provides real-life guidance on how to navigate tricky ethical situations, identify core criteria for evaluating manuscripts, and write a first-rate review. Select ‘Register Now’ below to get started!
- Introduction to peer review
- Ethics in peer review
- Preparing for review
- Assessing significance and technical quality
- Assessing presentation and readiness for publication
- Writing your review
Completing all six modules will unlock the final assessment, which will evaluate your knowledge of the key concepts covered. Learners who pass the final assessment can opt to complete a survey to have a badge placed in their ACS Paragon Plus account, visible to ACS journal editors when inviting reviewers.
What You Will Learn
- The basics of peer review and its critical role in scientific publication
- How to deal with difficult ethical issues, recognize potential conflicts of interest, and combat personal biases in the peer review process
- How to prepare before evaluating a manuscript
- Ways to effectively gauge impact and rate technical quality
- Tools for evaluating manuscript presentation and identify potential issues related to safety
- How to write a quality, clear review that is useful to the editor and authors
Who Should Attend
Whether you are new to peer review, looking to sharpen your skills, or actively mentoring the next generation of reviewers, ACS Reviewer Lab is a great resource. Learners who take this course will receive a certificate of completion and can request a badge indicating completion in ACS Paragon Plus.