In-Person ChemIDP: Planning for Your Career
An interactive workshop focused on the career planning process utilizing an individual development plan (e.g. ChemIDP.org)
About the Instructor(s)
Ms. Leslie Reynoso
Program Specialist, American Chemical Society
Leslie Reynoso is a Program Specialist at the ACS Student and Postdoctoral Scholars Development Office. She studied Forensic Chemistry and received her B.S. in Forensic Science from Virginia Commonwealth University. Prior to joining ACS, Ms. Reynoso managed youth programs offering life skill support and personal growth opportunities in vulnerable communities. At ACS, she develops and manages programming aimed at the career and professional development of students and postdoctoral scholars in the chemical sciences. She is passionate about aiding the next generation of scientists in their pursuit of personal and professional growth.
About the Course
Individual Development Plans (IDPs) have been used to support the career and professional development of individuals in setting career and training milestones through an iterative process of self-assessment, skill-strengthening, career exploration, and goal setting. This workshop will help participants to use the IDP framework to develop a tentative career plan that reflects their background, experiences, and career aspirations.
Key Topics include:
- Familiarizing yourself with the Career Sweet Spot concept
- Exploring the Individual Development Plan process
- Identifying your next career development steps
- Identifying strategies and resources to take those next steps
What You Will Learn
After this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Understand how skills, values and the job market opportunities intersect to create a satisfying career
- Self-assess career values and strengths
- Know the components associated with the Individual Development Plan (IDP) process
- Utilize IDPs (e.g. ChemIDP) to structure and plan for a career
- Develop SMART goals to reach their desired career objective
Who Should Attend
This workshop is applicable to undergraduates, graduate students, and postdoctoral scholars. It is also recommended for those revising their career path and job search strategy.
- Purpose of an IDP
- Articulating your Career Dream
- Finding your Career “Sweet Spot”
- The career development process
- ChemIDP.org and My Vitae
- Activity: Where you are now and where are you going?
- Activity: Looking back and looking ahead
- Setting SMART goals
- Closing: Success Factors for IDP use