In-Person Chemistry for Non-Chemists: The Basics, Language, and Function of Chemistry
This course empowers you with the essential knowledge of the transformative power of chemistry. For non-chemists--and chemists in need of review--the essential, overarching themes of chemistry will be explored through the use of modern contextual examples.
About the Course
Become empowered with the essential knowledge to be able to effectively communicate and think like a chemist. No longer will you cringe when you hear the word chemistry, or when someone says, “everything is chemistry”!
This course provides you with a unique set of activities to transform your application of scientific principles in your everyday interactions at home for healthy living and in the workplace for informed decision-making.
- Classification of Matter
- Separation of a Mixture
- The Periodic Table
- Atomic Structure
- Properties of Chemical Bonds
- Types of Chemical Bonds
- Chemical Analysis: Spectroscopy & Analytical Techniques
- Radioactivity & Dating
- Molecular Shapes
- Organic & Polymer Chemistry
- Safe Handling, Use, and Storage
What You Will Learn
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe what you see (macroscopic)with chemical language (microscopic & sub-microscopic)
- Design ways you can separate a mixture into its components by manipulating physical and chemical properties
- Use the Periodic Table to support decision-making
- Differentiate between chemical elements using subatomic particles (protons, neutrons and electrons)
- Identify an unlabeled chemical using its chemical & physical properties
- Explain how types of chemical bonds governs behavior of a compound
- Identify elements and chemicals using “light”
- Utilize practical applications of radiation/radioactivity
- Connect molecular shape to function or use
- Rationalize physical phenomena using polarity
- Justify properties of polymers using organic chemistry
- Analyze MSDS/SDS to make informed decisions
Who Should Attend
Anyone that serves in a predominantly chemistry-driven work environment, but lacks a degree in chemistry or wants to improve his/her ability to communicate and think like a chemist in his/her workplace.
Module 1: Classifying Matter / Separation of a Mixture
Module 2: The Periodic Table / Atomic Structure
Module 3: Properties of Bonds / Forming Chemical Bonds
Module 4: Chemical Identity: Spectroscopy / Radioactivity & Dating
Module 5: Molecular Shape / Polarity
Module 6: Organic & Polymer Chemistry / Safe Handling, Use & Storage
Dates, Locations, and Prices
Five for four! Register five people for one course, one person for five courses, or any combination in between and your fifth registration is free. The free registration will be the course of the lowest price. Please note: This discount cannot be combined with any other discount offered.
Date and Location: TBD