In-Person Effective Technical Writing
Improve your ability to write clear, concise, and readable technical reports.
About the Instructor(s)
Barbara D. Mowery
Faculty Emeritus, Thomas Nelson Community College
Barbara Mowery is Professor Emeritus, Thomas Nelson Community College (Hampton VA), where she developed a “Writing to Learn Chemistry” component for lower division courses.
About the Course
Practice several different forms of technical writing as you review and apply appropriate skills, grammar, and usage. Considerable class time will be spent writing and reviewing participants’ work, so a laptop that can access a shared platform is necessary for full participation. All class work is reviewed and returned to the participants with suggestions for improvement.
Topics covered include:
- General Principles of Technical Writing – effective placement of information; organization; consideration of the target; phrasing for highest impact; and effective use of graphics
- Categories of Technical Writing – memos and e-mails; effective letter writing; reports of various types; shortened forms of writing, including overviews, abstracts, summaries, and introductions; construction and use of executive summaries; instructions and procedures; and scientific papers for publication
- The Writing Process – knowing your reader; using a template or example; collecting and filtering information; writing a first draft; using appropriate language and grammar; editing
- Abstracts, Summaries and Executive Summaries – structure and contents; concise phraseology; main points; language
- Graphics and Diagrams, Tables and Charts – use and contents; simplicity.
- Tools for Writing –examples, reference sheets, usage guides, templates, self-assessments, reference materials, self-help, and self-awareness
Class size is limited to ensure individual attention. Participants are invited to submit one or two samples of types of writing they would like to improve. Considerable class time will be spent writing and reviewing participants’ own work, so a laptop that can access a shared platform is necessary for full participation.
What You Will Learn
After completing this course, participants should be able to
- complete everyday writing tasks efficiently
- write clear, concise reports in versions appropriate for peers, management, customers, or any other reader
- produce shortened forms of reports (e.g., overviews, summaries, abstracts) that are clear and complete
- use written English correctly and confidently
- produce larger projects (e.g., scientific papers, proposals, standard procedures) that are clearly written and properly formatted
Who Should Attend
Technical professionals, managers, and researchers who want to enhance their professional success by writing effectively and persuasively.
- General principles of technical writing
- Categories of technical writing
- Streamlining exercises: reference sheet and usage guide
- Writing process
- Everyday writing
- Technical reports and overviews
- Technical reports for non-technical readersSummaries, abstracts and introductions
- Writing a procedure
- Additional practice with overviews, summaries, and abstracts
Dates, Locations, and Prices
Five for four! Register five people for one course, one person for five courses, or any combination in between and your fifth registration is free. The free registration will be the course of the lowest price. Please note: This discount cannot be combined with any other discount offered.
|Early Bird||Full Price|
|Member or Associate(Standard or Basic Package)||$1895||$2095|