In-Person Intellectual Property Agreement Fundamentals
Intellectual Property Agreement Fundamentals will introduce the participants to the fundamentals of contracts with a focus on those relating to intellectual property (confidential / proprietary information, trade secrets, inventions and patent applications).
About the Instructor(s)
Robert Migliorini is an in-house patent attorney and teaches Patent Law Fundamentals.
About the Course
Intellectual Property Agreement Fundamentals will introduce the participants to the fundamentals of contracts with a focus on those relating to intellectual property (confidential / proprietary information, trade secrets, inventions and patent applications). The course will provide an overview of the major sections of a contract and common types of IP related agreements, including confidentiality/non-disclosure, material transfer and testing, collaborative research, joint development, technical services, consulting, and patent / trade secret licensing. Participants will learn the appropriate type of agreement to use for a certain business scenario involving technology and intellectual property. Participants will also learn approaches for protecting and allocating IP rights when working with outside parties. Participants will also learn how to extract further value from their IP assets through creative technology licensing efforts with others.
The course will provide not only an overview of the various IP agreements, but will also discuss some of the more important agreement provisions included in each, as well as typical negotiation issues with each type of agreement. Once an agreement is in place, participants will also learn key considerations for effectively working with the other party to maximize effectiveness and avoid disputes with the other party. Lastly, you will also learn how to effectively work with an IP attorney to make sure that you are receiving the best possible representation in agreement drafting and negotiation.
- Contracting concepts and fundamentals and the anatomy of an agreement
- Overview and business use of various type of IP agreements and important provisions for each type of IP agreement
- Common negotiation issues with each type of IP agreement
- Considerations during performance of the contract and how to avoid issues between the parties
Working effectively with IP counsel to receive the best possible representation
What You Will Learn
After taking this course, you will be able to:
- Know whether you should utilize an IP agreement prior to communicating and working with an outside party on something involving technology in order to protect IP rights
- Know whether technology licensing may be an option for extracting more value from your IP and steps for entering into a licensing deal
- Know the appropriate type of IP agreement to put in place prior to working with an outside party
- Understand the anatomy of an agreement and know the most important provisions for each of the different types of IP agreements. and different approaches for allocating IP rights between parties
- Know important things to do during the course of performance of the agreement to meet your obligations under the contract, to avoid disputes with the other party, and to protect your IP rights
- Know how to effectively and efficiently work with IP counsel that may represent you in contract drafting and negotiation
Who Should Attend
Anyone involved in technology and business who has a need to interact with individuals and entities outside of their own organization with regard to sensitive technical and business information, technology development or technology exchange.
1. Overview of contract principles
2. Overview of the anatomy of an agreement
3. Detailed review and use of agreements relating to IP, important provisions in each, and common negotiation issues:
a. Confidentiality / Non-disclosure
b. Material transfer and testing
c. Collaborative research
d. Joint development
e. Technical services
g. Technology licensing (patent and/or trade secret)
4. Approaches for allocating IP rights between parties to technology development agreements
5. Best practices for performing under the agreement in order to:
a. Maximize project effectiveness
b. Meet agreement obligations
c. Avoid disputes with the other party
d. Protect IP rights
e. Expiration, termination and extension of Agreements
6. Best practices for working with IP counsel representing you in agreement drafting and negotiation