In-Person Survey of Flavor Science
Learn a wide breadth of flavor chemistry and technology topics.
About the Instructor(s)
Professor, The Ohio State University
Devin Peterson is professor of chemistry at The Ohio State University and Director of the Flavor Research and Education Center.
Professor, University of Minnesota
Gary Reineccius is professor in the Department of Food Science at the University of Minnesota
About the Course
Learn about a range of important topics in flavor chemistry and technology. The instructors will integrate discussion and examples of analytical methods, techniques, and tips that pertain to each area of focus. These areas include:
- Basic flavor systems
- Off-flavors, flavor applications
- Flavor encapsulation
- Flavor characterization
- Flavor perception
- Flavor generation/processing
This course was created in partnership with the Flavor Research and Education Center at The Ohio State University.
What You Will Learn
- Solid grounding in flavor science
- How sensory systems work together to produce flavors
- Determination of off-flavors and how to reduce them in foods.
Who Should Attend
This course will cover significant territory in flavor science and thus will be valuable for a wide range of professionals having varying backgrounds in food and flavor chemistry. It will serve as a good overview/introduction to many of industry’s most pressing challenges, but will also provide a valuable refresher.
- Course Overview
- Introduction to Flavor Science: flavor perception (taste, aroma, mouthfeel, chemesthetics); biology of flavor perception
- Basic Flavor Systems: flavor creation; flavoring materials; flavor stability; industry applications
- Flavor Characterization: aroma/taste/mouthfeel/chemesthetics; analysis of volatiles & non-volatiles; flavor discovery; flavoromics
- Emulsions: what are they?; formation of emulsions; stability
- Summary of Day 1
- Day 1 Questions
- Flavor Generation and Processing: mechanism of flavor formation; enzymatic vs. non-enzymatic
- Flavor Encapsulation: delivery of flavor; encapsulation formation; stability
- Interactions and Release: types of interactions; mechanisms; products; influence of interactions on flavor release
- Off-flavors: reactions in foods; lipid/oxidation reactions; causes; tainting/packaging
- Summary of Course
Dates, Locations, and Prices
Five for four! Register five people for one course, one person for five courses, or any combination in between and your fifth registration is free. The free registration will be the course of the lowest price. Please note: This discount cannot be combined with any other discount offered.
|Early Bird||Full Price|
|Member or Associate(Standard or Basic Package)||$1895||$2095|