In-Person Working in Government: Opportunities for Chemists in the Federal Government
The federal government is hiring chemists! Create a data-driven employment search to locate a federal job that aligns with your career goals.
About the Course
This course will help you understand the demographics of the federal work force and give you insight into locating federal chemistry jobs. It will clarify federal wages and the types of positions, and assist you in creating a framework for your federal job search. The course will also explain federal coding for chemists and chemical engineers and present geographic, discipline, department, and agency data to help participants match job opportunities with their experience, strengths, and values. Course objectives include:
- Identifying federal hiring trends
- Highlighting federal job types available to chemists
- Examining federal job announcements
This course is part of a two-part series on working in government.
What You Will Learn
After completion of the course, attendees will be able to:
- Assess preliminary impressions of federal careers
- Analyze federal employment demographics
- Create a data driven framework for a federal job search
Who Should Attend
This course is a part of the ACS Careers Pathways Series and is designed for members undertaking or considering a job search within the federal government.
- Identifying federal employment trends and outlook for chemists
- Understanding competitive and excepted service positions
- Locating jobs by agency, occupation, and geography
- Review of federal pay, advancement, and benefits
- Federal work for students
- Job announcement analysis