In-Person Working in Higher Education: Higher Ed: Presenting Yourself
Inspire the next generation of chemists or devote yourself to academic research with a career in academia. Develop your resume and prepare yourself to get hired in the competitive world of higher education.
About the Course
This course explains what academic recruiters are looking for and how you can place yourself on the road to faculty tenure. It provides an overview of the higher education employment landscape to help you see the academic career outlook. You will learn how to present yourself as an ideal candidate and learn about the expectations of working in higher education. Activities will focus on:
- Exploring and assessing prospective jobs and careers in higher education
- Understanding application portfolio components
- Mastering techniques to make your portfolio more competitive
This is part of a two-part series on working in Higher Education.
What You Will Learn
After completion of the course, attendees will be able to:
- Find and assess potential jobs
- Create a compelling application portfolio
- Increase competitiveness as a candidate
Who Should Attend
This course is a part of the ACS Careers Pathways Series and is designed for members undertaking or considering a job search in academia.
- The higher education employment landscape
- Presenting yourself as an ideal candidate
- Tenure-track hiring
- Locating job announcements
- Networking in higher education
- Assessing potential positions
- Application portfolios
- Gaining teaching and research experiences
- The interview process